Fire and Rescue NSW yesterday responded to the 18th house fire caused by a recalled Samsung washing machine in the last year.

Affected users are advised to contact Samsung on 1800 239 655 to arrange the free in-home service. A resident of Corlette, NSW responded quickly yesterday [20 May] morning when a fire broke out in her washing machine, which had been running for about 10 minutes. Fire and Rescue NSW recounted the incident of its Facebook page today:

The top loading Samsung washing machine had been on for 10 minutes when a fire broke out. A working smoke alarm alerted the woman to the blaze as her home rapidly filled with smoke. She quickly evacuated the building, turned off the electricity at the fuse box and attacked the fire from outside using a garden hose. Firefighters from Salamander Bay arrived shortly afterwards and extinguished the fire using CO2 extinguishers. The washing machine was destroyed and the laundry sustained heat damage.

It is the 18th house fire involving a recalled Samsung washing machine since March 2014.

In April 2013 Samsung Electronics Australia recalled six top load washing machines, sold nationally between early 2010 and 28 February 2013. At the time emerged that there had been 15 fire incidents nationwide believed to be caused by these machines, including six in New South Wales.

According to the original recall notice, a defect in manufacturing means moisture can penetrate electrical connectors in these washers, resulting in a fire hazard.

UPDATE: The Sydney Morning Herald today reported that more than 83,000 recalled models are still in homes around Australia and there have been 179 "incidents" nationwide since the recall was issued. The incidents include over-heating, smoking or catching fire.

The six affected models are SW65V9WIP/XSA, SW75V9WIP/XSA, SW70SPWIP/XSA, SW80SPWIP/XSA, WA85GWGIP/XSA andWA85GWWIP/XSA. The model number can be found on the back of the washing machine.