Ongoing reports of problems with exploding Thermomix models has prompted the consumer advocacy group Choice to ask the ACCC to intervene.

“We have asked the ACCC to investigate the advice to consumers about how to safely use the product,” Choice spokesperson and head of content Tom Godfrey said.

A faulty sealing ring in some TM31 Thermomix models is continuing to cause problems. Perth mother Danika Jones was cooking pasta sauce in January when she said the lid of her Thermomix TM31 allegedly flew open and sent hot liquid splattering all over her upper body.

Ms Jones is now taking out legal action against the manufacturer after suffering second-degree burns to her arms, chest and stomach. Thermomix is distributed in Australia by Vorwerk Elektowerke.

In 2014, the issue led to a listing on Australia’s national product recalls site, which warned that users could be scalded if the Thermomix is switched to the lid-open position at high speed.

“In rare circumstances, the potential product defect could lead to a scald or burn for the user if liquid or food splashes out of the mixing bowl,” the recalls site says.

However, Thermomix owners are now posting social media shots of what they claim are burns from such incidents, as well as video of hot liquid spilling out of the bowl.

“If you have an old model Thermomix and have concerns around the product’s safety, don’t hesitate to contact the company. And you can seek a remedy under Australian Consumer Law,” Godfrey said.

A legal representative of the manufacturer says it has now sent new mixing bowl sealing rings to all potentially affected Australian customers who own Thermomix TM31 appliances.

As a sign of the belief in the quality of its products, Vorwerk has also extended the warranty for all Thermomix® TM31 products with a service number starting from 124231XX by an additional year from the purchase date. It said that private household TM31 owners do not have to do anything further to benefit from this extended warranty. The warranty for these appliances has been automatically extended by one year.

Read more here.

This story first appeared in Appliance Retailer.