Woolworths has been named Australia’s top online retailer at the ‘All Star Bash’ hosted by Power Retail last week. The annual event celebrates digital retail, recognising retailers for their mark on the industry.
The event attracted more than 650 guests from retailers including Kmart, Target, Catch, Myer, Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi, Officeworks, David Jones and others.
The top 100 comprises a mix of pureplay and omnichannel retailers with Woolworths ranking highly across all four key metrics – acquisition, conversion, fulfilment and retention.
In November 2019, the supermarket giant introduced its delivery subscription service which has bolstered online sales and its ‘Delivery Now’ service rivals the likes of Uber Eats and Deliveroo.
Coles came in at second, closely followed by Bunnings, Target, Big W, The Iconic, Catch, Kmart, Chemist Warehouse and Dan Murphy’s rounding out the top 10.
In developing the top 100 rankings, Power Retail has developed a ranking system that incorporates over 320,000 data points and 41 separate metrics to identify where retailers are succeeding and where they can improve. Metrics include search capabilities, shopper time on-site, accessibility, delivery options, payment options, pages viewed by session, site performance, ratio of mobile users, mobile app success, login capabilities and net promoter score. The result is a weighted combination of these metrics and quantitative metrics from third-party sources.
Power Retail managing director, Grant Arnott said it has been exciting to watch the top 100 develop this year and the dramatic movement within the top 20.
“Bunnings has made a huge move up the rankings since launching its transactional website, up 31 spots versus 2018 to fourth position. Also, Booktopia has had a huge year, moving up 33 places to sit at number 15. These moves also reflect the broader movement we are seeing across both online only and multi-channel retailers in the current retail environment. Those who are investing in and capitalising on the online shopping experience are working past the laggards.”
All Star Bash award category winners included the following:
- Number One Online Retailer: Woolworths
- Top Small-Medium Retailer: MWave
- Top Online Only: THE ICONIC
- Most Improved Online Performance: PETstock
- Best Native Retail App: Catch
- Top Mobile Experience: Baby Bunting
- Punching Above Their Weight: Flora and Fauna
- Top Department Store: Bunnings Warehouse
- Top Home & Décor: Spotlight
- Top Electrical & Office: Officeworks
- Top Sports & Leisure: Rebel
- Top Health & Beauty: Chemist Warehouse
- Top Fashion: THE ICONIC
- Top Site Performance: Klika
- Emerging Online Retailer of the Year: Baxter Blue
- Top User Experience: Adore Beauty
- Best Cross Border Performance: Cotton On
- Top Social Retailer: Showpo
- Top Innovator: Adore Beauty
- Top Customer Experience Award: Adore Beauty
- Best Email Marketing: Mecca
- Top Sustainable Retailer:Flora & Fauna
- All Star Legends: Tony Nash (Booktopia CEO) and Kate Morris (Adore Beauty CEO)