Online marketplace Etsy.com has raised $40 million in new funding from Index Ventures that will accelerate its international expansion.
“Our goal is to be the global platform for independent, creative businesses. Etsy has been driving a new, people-powered economy. With this funding, we’re going to accelerate our expansion internationally and debut new services to become a one-stop shop for our sellers’ businesses,” Chad Dickerson, Etsy CEO, said
Etsy.com already has over 15 million members in over 150 countries. Just over 28 per cent of Etsy’s transactions cross borders already, and with this investment the company intends to ramp up its presence in key markets. It launched Etsy in German in September 2011 and French in January 2012.
Etsy currently has teams in: Brooklyn and Hudson, NY; San Francisco, CA; Berlin, Germany; Paris, France; London, England; Sydney and Melbourne, Australia; Toronto, Canada; Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Tokyo, Japan.
- Etsy opens Christmas pop-up shop to appeal to the general community
- Etsy.com strengthens localisation with new payment options
- Invading Asia with strategy: Bluecom Group
- Melbourne fashion festival brings Etsy to life
- Witchery heads to South Africa
comments powered by Disqus