By James Atkinson
Woolworths is seeking approval from Australia's competition watchdog to acquire a takeaway liquor licence in an area in which it already operates three liquor stores.
Woolworths proposes to acquire the licence located at Rocherlea in Tasmania's north, which currently trades as Black Stallion Hotel Drive-Thru Bottleshop under the Big Bargain Bottleshop banner.
The supermarket chain operates three BWS liquor stores within a five-to-ten kilometre radius of the target licence.
As such, the deal requires merger clearance under federal competition legislation, which prohibits acquisitions that could substantially lessen competition in the area.
Submissions close December 1, ahead of a December 22 decision date.
- ACCC takes aim at online cowboys
- ACCC warns retailers against bad comparisons
- ACCC launches extraordinary court action against Woollies over "unsafe products"
- Misleading claims the biggest concern for small business: ACCC
- Suppliers and retailers warned to pass on Carbon Tax savings; repeal praised
comments powered by Disqus