By James Atkinson
Woolworths is seeking approval from Australia's competition watchdog to acquire a takeaway liquor licence in an area in which it already operates three liquor stores.
Woolworths proposes to acquire the licence located at Rocherlea in Tasmania's north, which currently trades as Black Stallion Hotel Drive-Thru Bottleshop under the Big Bargain Bottleshop banner.
The supermarket chain operates three BWS liquor stores within a five-to-ten kilometre radius of the target licence.
As such, the deal requires merger clearance under federal competition legislation, which prohibits acquisitions that could substantially lessen competition in the area.
Submissions close December 1, ahead of a December 22 decision date.
- ACCC looks after Indigenous customers with launch of FairStore guide
- Harvey Norman franchisees fined for misleading customers
- Coles, Woolworths agree to cap fuel discounts at 4 cents
- ACCC raises concern over St Kilda acquisition by Woolworths
- Dick Smith lists on the ASX but shares fall flat
comments powered by Disqus