By James Atkinson
Woolworths is seeking approval from Australia's competition watchdog to acquire a takeaway liquor licence in an area in which it already operates three liquor stores.
Woolworths proposes to acquire the licence located at Rocherlea in Tasmania's north, which currently trades as Black Stallion Hotel Drive-Thru Bottleshop under the Big Bargain Bottleshop banner.
The supermarket chain operates three BWS liquor stores within a five-to-ten kilometre radius of the target licence.
As such, the deal requires merger clearance under federal competition legislation, which prohibits acquisitions that could substantially lessen competition in the area.
Submissions close December 1, ahead of a December 22 decision date.
- Warning: steer clear of tax scams
- Small businesses' anxiety soars
- Can a corpulent Woolies discard its history and fight off Aldi?
- Suppliers rate major supermarkets
- Woolworths cuts 500 jobs, may sell EziBuy
comments powered by Disqus